Thursday, March 15, 2012

BLOWN AWAY BY QUANTIC DREAM'S "KARA" DEMO

So much for the uncanny valley.
Whoa.

Multiple views later, I still can't think of any other way to describe what I just watched. I think my stupefied silence speaks volumes. 

I COMMAND THAT YOU WATCH THIS VIDEO

Without much else to say, here are the facts. At GDC 2012, Quantic Dream's (developers of Heavy Rain) David Cage showcased the absolutely brilliant Kara demo which can be run of a PlayStation 3. The demo shows an android being constructed and tested, at the end of which, it becomes apparent that the android, named Kara, has gained sentience. The video features absolutely stunning motion and facial graphics technology rendered in real time. The titular character, Kara was portrayed (via motion capture) by actress Valorie Curry (Veronica Mars, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2). She wore 90 motion capture markers on her face and 90 on her body, which created the most sophisticated video gaming motion capture I sure as hell have ever seen.

Valorie Curry delivered her performance of Kara in one take.
“There will come a point where artificial intelligences are smarter than us, it’s inevitable,” Cage said in an interview with Wired. “This clip is about the moment that happens.”

Unfortunately I have to admit that the demo is just that. There is no guarantee that Kara will ever be a full blown game, or that we'll see more of the self-aware android ever again. But when it comes to something I like, I'll never say never. ('cept Jurassic Park 4, I stopped holding my breath for that one half a decade ago).

No comments:

Post a Comment