Friday, April 20, 2012

DEVIL MAY CRY REBOOT


If anyone has been perusing my other video-game related posts, they'd probably be surprised that DmC would even register on my radar. I can't say that I'm impressed by ... well, really anything about these games. I find the writing subpar, the characterization uninteresting, the storyline blase, and the gameplay of the button-mashing variety. 

But, they are flashy, a cacophony of drug induced or enhanced visuals inspired by over-the-top eastern anime style combat. Giant swords and impossible gun-tricks.


So here we sit, with a ponce of a teenager with superpowers, (and since he has black hair, many a DmC fan is in an uproar for some strange reason), big flashy combat, over-the-top set pieces, and a hellova Bill O'Riley parody, which did make me giggle. 


For what it is, and for what it's trying to do, I do not dislike the DmC franchise, nor do I have any doubts about this game in continuing the franchise. I am merely uninterested and unimpressed, but I have to admit, I don't think that Capcom or Ninja Theory are trying to reach the level of characterization or storytelling matched by Quantic Dream or the Brian Fargo. So for what their ultimate goals are, I am sure they're on their way to a successful game. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment