Wednesday, June 4, 2014

On The Unbelievers, Hitch, (and a touch of atheism)


So, since starting this blog, I've tried to steer clear of some of my more ... conversationally volatile personality traits--it just never seemed like a proper place to throw down the gauntlet. I just want to talk about pop culture.

But, here it is, formally, I'm an atheist, and a pretty combative 'militant' one at that, and what that means is my soulmate is a Jew, obviously. 

So recently, there's been a lot of growing hype about the documentary The Unbelievers, and while I agreed the majority of it, and I appreciated what it was trying to do ... I didn't really like it all that much. There was a strong focus on Krauss and Dawkins, which is great (I've read Dawkins, but I haven't gotten around to Krauss). I guess I just didn't really know what the show was going for. It didn't seem like it was trying to humanize the guests, or to show their day-to-day. Most of the clips used are already free on Youtube, and honesty, I far prefered the simplicity of the Four Horsemen discussion with Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris, and Dennett. At least there I knew quite simply what the idea behind it was.

Honestly, I decided to use this as a springboard to mention Hitch, a documentary made singlehandedly by Kristoffer Hellesmark. This is the author's note to the video ...

"I was looking for a documentary about The Hitch to watch but I could never find one. I waited and waited. Finally I figured: 'Why don't I just make one?'. That was the inspiration for this project. I did not make it to gain financially as I do not own most of the footage used. I simply wanted to in my own small way, further the legacy of Christopher Hitchens."

It's really engaging, following the life of journalist Christopher Hitchens as told through a combination of his lectures, debates, and interviews, and it really is quite moving, driven entirely by the impact of Christopher Hitchens' own words.

'The Hitch'- Christopher Hitchens documentary

No comments:

Post a Comment